Please select the channel that most closely
reflects your concern about the video, so that we can review it and determine whether it
violates our Community Guidelines or isn't appropriate for all viewers. Abusing this feature is
also a violation of the Community Guidelines, so don't do it.
Burning letters to father Christmas setting of explosives at the dinner table
This may seem crazy to you but that perfectly normally the british christmas or as sometimes we called it ?Crimbo?
Here are 10 Christmas traditions that never made it to America
Letters to Father Christmas
In America kids write letters to Santa and put them in the mailbox but in England we toast them straight in the fire. We are not trying to make children cry but burning the letters sends them directly to the north pole west and then they can read your Christmas wishes in the smoke. Yes it seems a little weird but it does save on postage.
American children traditionally hang stockings around the fireplace for Santa to fill with presents but in the UK we hang the stockings around the bed. Being surrounded by presents is a great way to wake up on bed on Christmas morning. And a great way to let Father Christmas a total stranger whose been watching you all year get really close to your sleeping body, Sweet dreams.
Also instead of leaving out milking cookies for Father Christmas, we leave him brandy and a mist pie because he is a grown up.
A crack may not seem the most festive thing to serve on Christmas dinner. But these are not the type of practice that you put cheese on. A Christmas cracker is a brightly decorated cardboard tube filled with fun prices. When grabbed and pulled the pot a tiny explosive inside makes a loud cracking noise hence the name.
Inside the cracker is usually a cheesy plastic price a paper crown and a terrible joke.
?Why a ghost so bad at lying? Because you can see right through them.?
I?m so sorry.
Inside the Christmas cracker are colorful paper hats that just absolutely mandatory to wear.
In fact, 90% of arguments stems from trying to make your grumpiest relative put that paper crown on. The other 10% comes from playing monopoly because there are some Christmas traditions that we share unfortunately.
A british Christmas dinner is just as bigger feast as an American one. The main dish is usually roast turkey often surrounded by bacon wrapped chipolatas which are many porked sausages. Bacon wrapped mini pork sausages now that?s the tradition that you American should get behind. We served the turkey with roast potatoes and veggies traditionally brussel sprouts which are gross but traditional so we eat them anyway. We have gravy to smothered everything and something called pretzels which isn?t a sauce to put on bread but a sauce that sticken with bread which looks a little lumpy but taste delicious. Then we eat until we can?t move and watch until we passed out. Sound familiar?
Americans love to have that pumpkin and picken pies for Christmas dessert but in UK we have Christmas pudding. This is a very dense boiled cake flavored with dried fruit and spices. Its densed sauteed in alcohol for aged in several months boiled again, sauteed in alcohol again then set on fire. Come to our british Christmas, we soaked everything in alcohol and then the lights is on fire.
The Royal Christmas Message
That?s right! Every Christmas day the majesty the queen gets a holiday speech reflecting on the events of the past year. We all sit around pretending to pay attention but secretly carrying on on whatever it was we were doing before. Think of it as a state of the union with much more gold.
Boxing day is the day after Christmas. Its origins are debatable. Some say that it is the day that workers will receive a box of gifts from their bosses. Others say that it is the day when people would boxed up gifts for the poor. But the main thing that happens on boxing day nowadays is shopping. It?s kind of a like Black Friday only nobody get trampled to death.
Every year around the Christmas holes pretty much every theatre in the country puts on the Pantomime. These are place for kids based on fairy tales such as Cinderella and Aladin. It involving a lot of high camp, cross dressing and audience interaction. They are normally starring jaded celebrities so if the idea of seeing David Hasselhoff dressed excites you, you should definitely checked one out.
Taking Down the Christmas Tree
We Brits believe that Christmas Tree and decorations should be taking down in 12 days of Christmas otherwise you have bad luck for the rest of the year. This is maybe a tradition that Americans should consider adopting. I?ve certainly seen this people keeping that old brown dry withered Christmas trees until almost the 4th of July.
Those are some of the major differences between British and American Christmases. Thanks for watching, subscribe for more episodes and let us know in the comment what you think is the most important part of a proper British Christmas. Happy Crimbo